Friday, August 10, 2007

Knifty Knitter - Dog Sweater!

I'm addicted to the Knifty Knitter! At first I bought this because I have limited skills in knitting and don't know how to knit something round like a hat. I was curious and thought this might work, so I bought the smallest blue Knifty Knitter looms to make baby hats for my coming baby~ Wow, I couldn't believe I made two perfect baby hats in an hour! ( I usually make mistakes in counting or drop stitches and formed holes on my scarfs. lol)

Yesterday, while I was shopping in JO-ANN and thinking what color of yarn to buy I saw this free dog sweater patterns. I tried the pattern by using some left over yarn that I have because I know I might not success the first time. Instead of using the Shaggy yarn for the collar, I mixed two strands of light yarn and make a brim (just like making a brim on a hat) as the collar of the sweater. The finished product is not perfect..and it's too small for my FAT girl. She has BIG chest and fat hip... Well.. it's still a great experiment, and it only took me half a day to finish. I had never made something that complicated and I will not give up, I will try again. :) I took couple pictures of Coco wearing the sweater and I have to take it off from her since she seems not too happy wearing it. It is too tight. lol

By the way, the Knifty Knitter Assorted Loom Series are now on sale in JO-ANN! Originally $25, and now is only $14.99! The bundle include 1 long loom, 2 round looms, 1 flower loom, 1 hook, and 1 needle.

In case for those who can't find this dog sweater pattern in your local JO-ANN fabric and craft stores. I put the pattern here. I'm sure for those who are expert in knitting or crochet can easily alter this pattern and make it a even better doggies sweater~

Dog Sweater Pattern from JO-ANN

Fits 15-20 lbs dog

SUPPLIES & TOOLS:

  • 8" Knifty Knitter Loom, red (8")
  • Knifty Knitter hook
  • Yarn needle
  • Scissors
  • 1 skein Sensations Shaggy Yarn
  • 1 skein Caron Simply Soft Yarn
DIRECTIONS:


  1. Following manufacturer's instructions, wrap Shaggy yarn on Knifty Knitter using the entire ring. Knit 10 rows to form the collar.

  2. Switch to Simply Softy and continue knitting another 10 rows.

  3. To form holes for legs, knit only pegs 1 through 9. Knit back and forth* for 9 rows.

  4. Cut yarn leaving 4" length.

  5. Beginning on the 10th peg, knit through stopping on the 31st peg.

  6. Again knit back and forth * for 9 rows.

  7. On the next row, knit all the way around and continue for another 12 rows.

  8. Cast off pegs 1 through 9 and decrease 3 stitches on each side.

  9. Knit 8 more rows to form sweater lower back, should be 16 pegs.

  10. Cast off and weave in any yarn ends.

*when knitting the rows backward, flip the yarn as you cast on.

HAVE FUN! I would love to see pictures of other's knitted dog sweater too~ :)

2 comments:

Bonbon64 said...

Thanks very much, I have some Christmas things to finish up and then the loom is my next project.
I'm going to start with a hat, a dog sweater for my friend's Shitzu, Keeper, and then a baby cocoon.
Better get to work.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks dog paw washer